Friday, April 25, 2014

ARC Internship Provides Rich Experience and Fun

That's me looking like I'm grown up.
By Kassidy Ketron, Intern

Before my internship with the American Red Cross in Lubbock, I never even for a second thought I would want to work for a nonprofit organization.

Now, I can tell you how stupid that was because I’ve realized how much I love working for a nonprofit.

During my internship, not only was I treated just the same as the other employees, but I had work to do. I wasn’t just free labor that only answered the phone every time it rang and helped people who came into the office.

My first week I put together a blog plan for the month, wrote blogs, and handled social media accounts, which I’ve done the entire semester. After that, I was trusted with the task of creating lists for the Dallas chapter’s Twitter Account. I was asked to use research analytics software to compile monthly statistics about the performance of the social media accounts for the Dallas chapter, as well.

As an intern, it is a privilege to be trusted not only with your company or organization’s social media accounts, but with things outside your realm, too. It is a great compliment.

My favorite thing by far though was what I was able to do for our bowling tournament. I was interviewed on live TV about our event and the great services the American Red Cross offers. I enjoyed it so much because I had never done it before and thankfully, I didn’t do too bad. I did something weird with my hands apparently, but we won’t talk about that. It was just another thing the American Red Cross helped me get experience at that I might not have had the opportunity to do anywhere else.

That's me telling people about Piper the Puppy.
I helped with fundraising events, and on April 12 I even got to host my own event called Piper’s Day Out. Just like any intern, I was terrified and convinced I would do it wrong and they would shun me from ever coming back. Thankfully, I’m just dramatic and that didn’t happen. In fact, it was quite the opposite. The event was hosted at Fire Station 18 and featured a bounce house, face painter and free food all to promote Piper the Puppy. Lots of smiling faces showed up and had a great time.

Not only did I learn so much, but I also had the honor of getting acquainted with some of the wonderful people associated with the American Red Cross. They really are a family and I was welcomed with open arms.

Internships are so important to have before you graduate and begin looking for a job. It shows you’ve worked hard and not taken for granted the wonderful opportunities around you.

The American Red Cross taught me things that I could have never gotten by just sitting in a classroom and I had a blast while doing it.

To join in on this great organization and get the best experience of your college career, please send your resume, cover letter and an appropriate work sample to amy.yen@redcross.org for consideration.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your incredible work this semester, and for sharing your story with others. It's been an honor to have you on our team! ^Anita

    ReplyDelete