Be safe when traveling
- Choose a hotel/motel that is protected by both smoke alarms and a fire sprinkler system.
When you check in, ask the front desk what the fire alarm sounds like.
When you enter your room, review the escape plan posted in your room.
Take the time to find the exits and count the number of doors between your room and the exit. Make sure the exits are unlocked. If they are locked, report it to management right away.
Keep your room key by your bed and take it with you if there is a fire.
If the alarm sounds, leave right away, closing all doors behind you. Use the stairs — never use elevators during a fire.
If you must escape through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your exit.
If you can't escape ...
- Shut off fans and air conditioners.
- Stuff wet towels in the crack around the doors.
- Call the fire department and let them know your location.
- Wait at the window and signal with a flashlight or light colored cloth.
Source: National Fire Protection Association