Thursday, August 25, 2016

Volunteers Recognized for Selfless Service in the South Plains

Volunteering is tough. I don’t necessarily feel selfish when I say that; Like many people who have to balance work, school, family and friends, the thought of giving what little of my time that is left away seems like a terrifying idea. Being as neurotic as I am, I’ve actually counted out the hours in my weekly routine and, not surprisingly, it’s hard to squeeze even a minute of something into my crazy life. Of course, I can say all this as someone who’s volunteered before. This isn’t my first rodeo - I’ve given my time to volunteer for academic clubs, charities, even as a date once. But, after meeting with the recipients of this year’s American Red Cross Volunteer Awards Ceremonies, I have this lingering suspicion in the back of my mind that I should re-evaluate what it really means to be a good Samaritan.


Of course, others volunteer for reasons much less selfish than my own; the recipients of this year’s many awards are proof of that. In total, these men and women have dedicated thousands of hours of hard work to the Red Cross with a simple end in mind - making the South Plains a safer community. It’s a calling that seems to span age, ethnicity and social status. Volunteers include retirees Gerald and Ethel Chambers, who have for years worked on the Disaster Action Team in Plainview, responding to catastrophes even at the dead of night, or Victor Martinez, who juggles presiding of the Texas Tech Red Cross Club, being a full time student, and preparing for medical school.


Volunteers and Staff, including Erin Imhoff, far right
For these volunteers, it seems like the spirit of giving is in their blood. One such volunteer is Erin Imhoff.  I had a chance to speak with Erin, recipient of both the Presidential Lifetime Service Award and the Disaster Preparedness & Response Volunteer Award. Just as fun trivia, how did she earn a award recognized by the President of the United States? Since 2007, Erin has donated over 4,000 (yes, thousand) hours to the American Red Cross. We chatted for a few minutes about the food, her awards, and then we went into the hard question. I had to know, why volunteer at the American Red Cross? I'm not sure what about her answer threw me off at first; the nobility of it or how simple it was. For Erin, volunteer at the Red Cross “because you can be someone’s hero.” In context, this week alone, four apartments in Lubbock burned, leaving eight people on the brink of homelessness; in Louisiana, communities are slowly recovering from one of the worst natural disasters in our nation’s history; world-wide, families are battling measles, a disease shockingly simple to prevent with the right vaccinations. For all of these tragedies, the Red Cross and it’s almost all-volunteer workforce have been there, giving a hero to those who need it most. Erin is one of those heroes, and to meet someone who sacrifices selflessly was a humbling experience.


Listening to these stories, of the impact that one person can have on so many lives, it’s hard not to feel motivated to do something good. Honestly, I don’t think I have what it takes to tack 4,000 hours of volunteer work under my belt, but maybe finding that hour or two won’t be so difficult next time I'm asked. Perhaps there’s a strange part of me that wants to be someone’s hero, too.


A special thanks to Rudy’s BBQ for catering the event. The food was on point.


Red Cross Staff, including North Texas CEO Keith Rhodes
2016 Volunteer Awards Recipients:


Presidential Lifetime Service Award - Erin Imhoff


Silver Presidential Achievement Award - Peter Farr


Bronze Achievement Award - Brittany Walker


Certificate of Dedication - Gerry Grant


Certificate for Outstanding Service – Stan & Betty Foster


Certificate of Appreciation - Weston Ward


Certificate of Appreciation – Miles Hardaway


Certificate of Appreciation – Ellen Wilson


Rookie of the Year Award - Peter Farr


Mentorship Award - Gerald & Ethel Chambers


Woodrow Wilson Youth Award for Exemplary Youth Leadership and Service - Victor Martinez


Administrative Support Volunteer Award- Jade Ngoc


Clara Barton Award for Meritorious Volunteer Leadership -  Dwain Cox


Community Spirit Award - Richard Alires


The Erwin Thal Philanthropic Award – Cynthia Jumper, M.D.


Disaster Preparedness & Response Volunteer Award - Erin Imhoff


Chapter Volunteer of the Year Award - Clarke Cochran


Chapter Exceptional Employee of the Year Award - John Cummins


Employee Rookie of the Year Award –  Jennifer Trengove

Employee of the Year – Judy Pevytoe

Steven Lara

Volunteer - American Red Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment