Friday, March 14, 2014

Erin Imhoff volunteers for the feeling


By Kassidy Ketron
Intern

Erin Imhoff volunteers at Red Cross for the rewarding feeling she has knowing she is preparing people to save a life.

During her nine years at Red Cross, she has taught babysitters classes, wilderness first aid, CPR for the professional rescuer, and CPR for the first aid responder.

“I originally started with Red Cross in college because I needed to be recertified to work when I went back home,” Imhoff said. “And the woman who would be certifying me said that I would be a good candidate to teach Red Cross classes. So that’s how I got started.”

Teaching life saving skills is something she said she has really enjoyed about teaching the different classes at the American Red Cross.

“(I like) the fact that it’s not useless knowledge,” Imhoff said. “It’s actually knowledge that you can apply to make a difference or to actually save someone’s life.”

She is currently pursuing her master’s degree in social services at Lubbock Christian University and works at a local social services program, as well as volunteering for Red Cross.

When Imhoff isn’t teaching classes, she is responding to late night calls of a disaster like any Disaster Action Team Captain would. DAT is disaster response unit of people who respond to disasters at any time of the day, providing counseling, clean-up kits and shelters.

“I think sometimes it’s emotionally draining, especially when you have to get up at 3 a.m. and go out there,” she said. “It’s a lot of quickly preparing yourself to cope with someone else’s emotions. But, when all is said and done and you’ve taken care of business, it’s rewarding. It’s kind of like a natural high because you did something helpful, something that no one else could do at 3 a.m. but you.”

Even though Imhoff has school, work and volunteering to juggle she said it’s all about organization and time management.

She said at the end of the day, knowing she taught someone to save a life and gave them the knowledge they need, makes it all worth it.

“I think just in general, it’s all very rewarding, but on different levels,” she said. “Going out on a DAT call is different, it’s kind of more of them warm fuzzy (feelings). In regards to teaching classes, I think it’s just the idea that you empowered somebody to save someone’s life is very rewarding.”

Even after nine years, Imhoff still has a good time with the American Red Cross.

“I think it’s a lot of fun and I think it’s very rewarding to be able to provide assistance in someone’s time of need,” she said.

Although Imhoff has never had to use CPR on anyone, she knows how to save a life if she ever needs to because of her time with the American Red Cross.

“(With) Red Cross, I’ve got life saving skills,” she said. “I think overall, I think it’s a very supportive. The chapters are all very supportive of their volunteers and employees and I think that’s helpful to maintain and to make them want to be a part of Red Cross.”

To join Erin Imhoff and other hardworking volunteers at the South Plains Regional Chapter, visit our website and learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment